Friday, June 08, 2007

Childhood lesson- What's in a prayer?

After I was born, my family moved to Maldives. Now... Maldives is a 100% Islamic island nation. I grew up around people who were practicing Islam. I heard "namaz" everyday... I saw my neighbor kids reading their Quran and praying... We had assembly at school everyday, raised Maldives flag and a kid always said the holy prayer... So it's natural that I end up memorizing the prayer no?I was always hanging out with my neighbor kids cuz they were around my age. They were willing to teach me about their culture... I would join them when they had their evening Quran readings... I would have a handkerchief on my head and listen to what they read, though I do not understand Arabic. One day... my aunt happens to catch me in the act of it, and grabbed me outta there and took me back my place. It happened when I was 7... 20 years ago... Even though I've forgotten many of the details, I clearly remember she wasn't happy that I was doing all these heebie jeebie stuff like my neighbor kids. I didn't really see a point on her getting upset. I knew very well what my religion was... and was more intrigued by Christianity since there were no churches in Maldives... I loved to hear stories about Jesus, so naturally I was infatuated with church and everything that came with it. But when my aunt yanked me outta that place... It made me wonder... what did I do wrong?What's in a prayer...? Why does it matter whether it's in Tamil, Arabic or English? It's going to blend into the same air whether you say it or I say it, whether it's said in Latin or French.Too bad little shit events like that makes you stray away what you were infatuated with in the first place eh...?

No comments: