Monday, March 17, 2008

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tonight I went down to the care center for couple of hours to sit with a man on his death bed. It’s called "Compassionate Campanion" and I’ve been on the volunteer thing but didn’t get a chance to go in... so tonight was the first. It was different from what I thought it would be.. I was sorta nervous when I got there. I put up a brave front (cuz dad works there med aide) and went into the room. This other volunteer (who used to work there) was there and said she’d stay with me if I like since it’s my first time. It was nice to have her there, though I would have been okay if I was alone because that place was just hustling and bustling with people I used to work with popping in and outta the room talking my ears off...
The man looked like he was extra comfy and simply sleeping snoring away. I watched his breathing for a bit... and all the sudden he made this moaning sound that scared the crap out of me! The other lady has seen many and been with many who were dying so it was no big deal.. I looked at her and we both sorta giggled. I know... why are we giggling when he’s dying right? Dying is not a bad thing... some people are better off dead. This man doesn’t look like he’s suffering.. though I feel like he’s holding on and won’t go for another day or 2.
The lady who stayed with me told me about the other people that she was beside when they died... and she looks at him and says, he’s holding on strong.. you just never know when they leave.. God will go, hey you it’s time.. and then he’ll be gone. I pictured God still making the bed for the person hehe...
It was not eerie or anything like I’d imagine.. just peaceful. I mean.. we’ve had few people die in our house (we take care of elderly folks).. that’s a bit tough since we know them for several years..I know it’s tough on my mom.. anyways... when those people die in our house, I get a bit creeped out, I would walk off really fast or do something stupid to get away from that room ASAP. I remember the first time a gentleman died at our house.. I didn’t go by that room for 2 months atleast.
I kept wondering what’s in the man’s mind while he lay there in his bed... wish I could read people mind at times.. hmm or do I really want that? Anyways... he’s still holding on.. I won’t find out the update till morning.
Well.. time to hit the hay. Ta.

No comments: